cropped.jpg)
A few months ago our ward (church) had a chili cook-off. I realized I didn't have any ground beef that morning, and instead of risking the craziness of shopping on Saturday, (I really try to avoid it) I decided to try a white chili. I had some bone in chicken breast that I stuck in the crock pot with some lemon juice and salt and pepper. Then I started the beans because I new they would take at least 4 hours. I rinsed them, covered them with water and then put in lots of garlic, a whole onion in wedges and a couple teaspoons of salt. I do pinto beans the same way and freeze them in 2 cup batches. I really like beans and could go on and on but I'll dedicate an entire post to them someday. Anyhow, I was pretty happy with the end resultof the chili and ended up getting second, I missed first by one vote. And can I just say, the prizes were awesome. I got a $50 dollar gift card to Chili's and two bottles of hot sauce. Go Chicken!
Maria's White Chicken Chili
1 small or medium onion, chopped
2 pieces of garlic, crushed
3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
5 cups white navy beans, or three 15 oz. cans
2 cans mild rotel, drained unless you like it really spicy then leave the juice, or get the regular or spicy variety for more heat.
1 packet dry italian dressing seasoning, or 1 cup italian salad dressing
2-4 cups of water, depending on if you drain the rotel or if you use dressing instead of the seasoning packet
2-4 chicken bullion cubes (to personal taste) I like to also add the drippings from meat if I cook it in the crock pot.
1-2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
1 spoonful of sugar (secret ingredient)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1-2 tsp cumin
Sour cream
Grated cheese
Saute the onion for 3 minutes and then add crushed garlic, chili powder and cumin. Suate 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, water, 3 1/2 cups of beans or two cans, and chicken. Add chicken bullion, and italian seasoning. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Mash remaining beans and add them to help thicken the chili. Add the sugar and lemon or lime juice. Simmer a little longer and then serve with sour cream and grated cheese.
The great thing about this soup is you can use whatever you have on hand. If you have a lime use fresh lime juice. If all you've got is bottled lemon juice, use that. You really can't mess it up if you have the key ingredients. If you think that two cans of Rotel is going to be to spicy for your kids, do one can mild rotel and one can plain crushed or diced tomatos. I can't tell you how many people asked me for this recipe. You are definately going to want to keep this one in your favorites. I personally think what makes it great is the beans being cooked with onion and garlic and the meat being slowcooked with a little lemon juice. I am telling you lemon juice is my best friend when it comes to poultry. Toodles
No comments:
Post a Comment