My friend Jamie gave me this recipe. They are really tasty and look pretty too. They work perfectly with tomato based dinners or even just in place of a roll with any meal. They are my new go to breadstick recipe. They even taste great the next day if you stick them under your broiler and baste them with a little more butter. You can throw half of them into the freezer and save them for another meal. Have I ever mentioned I think everyone needs a deep freeze. I love to freeze things. In fact, I feel so strongly about it, I have had one in my bedroom (becasuse there isn't room anywhere else) for the last three years.Breadsticks
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
3-4 1/2 cups flour
butter
garlic salt
parmesan cheese
Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Mix in flour until dough doesn't stick to side of bowl. You can use a mixer or do this step by hand, just make sure you thouroughly mix it if you are doing it my hand. If dough seems a little sticky just use a generous amount of flour on the counter when rolling them out. Roll dough out on a floured surface. Try and make it a rectangular shape. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter cut dough into long strips. Fold dough in half and make into twists by braiding the two strands. Jamie had to show me how to do this. I was helping her form them one day and I thought you just folded it in half and twisted. They were not as pretty. You have to do the motion of braiding to get the pretty twisted look. Place them an inch apart on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise for an hour or until doubled in size. Cook for 7-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Baste with butter immediately after getting them out of the oven and sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan cheese. Enjoy.
They sure look awesome! Thank you for the recipe, I love everything made with yeast dough.
ReplyDeleteokay i am going to have to try these and a friend just asked for a recipe so I am sending her over!
ReplyDeleteThey were easy and yummy, although a little bland I thought. I'll be adding some salt to the dough next time, but otherwise very delicious. Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDelete