Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ginger Snaps


My friend Whitney gave me this recipe. She got it from her mother-in-law because her husband loves them. I have to admit I was skeptical. I hadn't had a homemade ginger snap before.....I was hooked at first bite. They are one of my favorite cookies, especially this time of year. I think my love for them has a lot to do with the soft and chewy texture. You can add raisins if you like. I know it seems like the strangest thing ever to put in a ginger snap. I don't even like raisins but I like them in these cookies. I usually mix them with half of the dough. This recipe makes a ton of cookies but they freeze really well.

CREAM:
2 1/2 cups shortening
3 cups sugar
ADD:
3 eggs
3/4 cup molasses
MIX TOGETHER IN A SEPARATE BOWL AND THEN SLOWLY ADD TO WET MIXTURE:
6 cups flour (I usually use 2-3 cups of wheat flour)
4 tsp ginger
4 1/2 teaspoons soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups raisins (optional)
Sugar for rolling dough balls in before baking

Roll 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. You may want press very lightly on each ball before baking. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Maria for the recipe. I made the carmels today and was so excited about it I forgot to add the vanilla at the end, oh well.

    ReplyDelete