Saturday, October 24, 2009

Coconut Curry

If you like curries, you will love this!
--and it is not too spicy for kids--


COCONUT CURRY
1 1/2 lb chicken or pork (I use Chicken) cut into chunks
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 can coconut milk (14 oz.)
1 large onion, chopped in to 3/4″ pieces
1 or 2 red bell pepper chopped into 3/4″ pieces
2 medium carrots, julienned and cut to 2″ length (julienned means cut into skinny long pieces like straws.)
1 can sliced water chesnuts
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp grated ginger or 1 tsp. ground ginger powder. (I use a little less then a tsp.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (can do more or less depending how much heat you like. For kids I would suggetst just a couple shakes-1/8 tsp)



THERE IS A LOT OF *CHOPPING INVOLVED IN THIS RECIPE, BUT IF YOU ARE A FOOD NERD LIKE ME, YOU THINK IT IS FUN!



Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Braise the chicken at medium-high heat, turning to brown all sides.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken into a large sauce pan, leaving the oil in the frying pan. Shake the can of coconut milk before opening. Add to the chicken and place the saucepan on memdium heat.(sorry I forgot to take a picture of the sauce pan with the chicken bathing in the coconut milk.) Add the vegetables and all spices to the fying pan. Stir well. Saute until the vegetables start to brown.
(I had to saute my carrots seperately because my pan was too small. If your pan seems too full, do the sauting in two batches.)Transfer the vegetable mixture into the sauce pan, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes. Serve over white rice. (If your curry seems a little thick you can thin it out with more coconut milk or chicken broth. Sometimes I add 1/2 cup of hot water and 1/2 a chicken bullion cube.)
…Serves 6-8.

*Sometimes I can find a fajita peppers and onions mix on sale in the freezer section at the grocery store. They all ready have cumin and chili powder in them. I have used them in place of the peppers, onions, chili powder and cumin before and it turned out great and was less work.

No comments:

Post a Comment