Monday, October 26, 2009

Carmel Apples

At one of our annual girl parties. My Aunt took me with her into a candy shop in the mall and I came out with a carmel apple that had been dipped in carmel, white chocolate and then rolled in cinnamon sugar. To say the least it was DELICIOUS!
There are a few foods I have had in my life that I haven't been able to forget. This was definitely one of them. I will fill you in on the others another time. (Just remind me to tell you the sad story about a chocolate rice crispy at Disney World.)

This summer I happened upon a chocolate store when me and the fam were doing a little outlet shopping. Boy, was I thrilled, to see the same apple in their window. I bought one and it was as good as I remembered. Ever since, I have been dying to try making one myself. I finally got around to it this weekend, and I have to say, it was DELICIOUS!!! You have got to try it! This was the first time I have ever attempted dipping apples like this and lets just say I learned ALOT!

I made three atempts at dipping before realizing what wasn't working. Instead of telling you the things that didn't work. I will make this easy for you and tell you what did work. After melting both the carmel and the white chocolate, I let it cool until it was almost room temperature. (I added a few Tbsp of water to my carmels.It made my carmel too runny. You may not need to let yours cool so long if you don't add water to it.) Once my carmel had cooled off, I used a spoon and smeared the carmel all the way around the apple. Following that I used another spoon and smeared white chocolate around the carmel and then quickly rolled the apple in cinnamon and sugar. This way worked great. I think my carmel and chocolate were too warm for my first attempts.

I had a few different things I used for toppings. I rolled some in crushed Oreo cookies. I also did one in just carmel and mini M&M's. Sliced almonds looked pretty nice around the bottom of one with carmel and white chocolate, but my favorite were the "apple pie," carmel, white chocolate, cinnamon sugar ones. YUM YUM YUM! My little boy thought it was really fun and could hardly wait for me to quit taking pictures so he could eat one.
If you want to make these you will need:
Apples (I like granny smith and honey crisp)
1-2 bags of wrapped carmels
6 squares of almond bark or white chocolate chips
Toppings (cinnamon sugar, crushed oreos, mini m&m's, reeses pieces, cut up peanut butter cups, sliced or crushed nuts of your choice, or whatever else sounds good to you.
Wax papper
Unwrap all the carmels and put them in a 2 quart sauce pan. Heat the carmel on low stirring often so it won't scorch. You may need to add 1 Tbsp of water to make the carmel a little easier to work with. Don't add more then one or it will be too runny like mine.
Heat 6 squares of almond bark in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between until it is smooth.
Prepare toppings and put them out evenly on plates.
Depending on the consistency of your carmel you might have better luck dipping instead of spreading. However, The carmel needs to be quite cool or the white chocolate will melt off.
Get creative and have fun. These apples are soooooo Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment